Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Swimmin with the big fish

The boys started their second session of swimming lessons this week. I., after resisting for most of the first session, suddenly decided to finally put his head completely under the water. I'm so proud of him. Both boys "graduated" from one level to the next.

Having three kids tethered to my heels is just starting to catch up with me. Some days I seriously feel like I'm trudging through knee-deep mud. Lunch time is the most frenetic part of the day, with dinner time coming in at a close second. Baby wants to nurse, I. wants one thing, and C. wants another, and I'm about ready to start gnawing on my arm. And going anywhere is such a hassle! Got to get baby dressed, and diaper changed, buckle him in and get his carrier latched on. Make sure I have snacks and drinks for I. and C., as well as for myself. Then open doors, gets seat belts and car seats buckled. By the time we're all loaded into the car I feel like we ought to be done already. But that's not even half the battle because of course you have to get everyone out, herd everyone through doors and out of doors, handle any fits, fights or fussiness. And then you've got to make it through the check-out stand, which is another category altogether. I have frequently saved my most unchristian thoughts for the marketing execs out there who had the brilliant idea of putting toys and candy by the check-out stand. May they be blessed with a possy of loud, ill-behaved toddlers with grabbing hands, and open mouths.

I had DH pick up Grapes of Wrath at the library for me the other day. DH spoke in church on Sunday and pointed out that one of the ways we can be like Christ is to improve our intelligence. I suppose even mothers of young children aren't exempt from that one. Sigh... I'll let you know how long my guilty motivation lasts. :-/

5 comments:

Tom said...

Soon enough I. will be going to Kindergarten...

Emily said...

Excited to hear that the boys graduated in swimming...that's great. I read Grapes of Wrath once. LOL

Katrina said...

It'll get easier, right? That's what people say. Hang in there! And good luck with Grapes of Wrath!

Michelle said...

God bless you. I have heard that if you can handle three kids then you can handle 12. Things will get better I'm sure. You are a good Mom.

Heather said...

I was at target with the girls to buy groseries (what was I thinking). I was trying to get everything from the basket unloaded onto the moving counter so I wasn't paying attention to the girls. When I was finally done and took a look at what I would be buying I noticed two toys, a bag of skittles, lip gloss, a pack of lighters and some batteries had been added to my already large stack of supplies. My little ankle bitters had taken it upon themselves to do a little shopping of their own from the shelves by the check out stand. I am going to send the bill of all the spontaneous purchases to the infamous marketing people. They are the cause then they should be the ones to pay.