Ok, so the way people talk around here is a little funny. What's every funnier is that I grew up here and it still strikes me as funny. I was talking to a mortgage broker a few weeks ago and she was asking about my family and DH's job etc. At some point she said "For fun!"... yeah...
Then yesterday I was talking to some ladies from the neighborhood. "Cute" was used way more than necessary, and in some (I thought) very inappropriate ways. I tried not to cringe with each repetition. Now, cute is a fine and valid work in the English language, don't get me wrong. However, it should not, in my opinion, be used in reference to preschools, or buildings where said preschools are taught. Tone of voice is crucial here. In my conversation yesterday it was delivered in a slightly high and whining tone. This changes the meaning entirely. You can say "How cute!" when your sister or best friend walks out of a dressing room wearing a particularly adorable outfit. You can say "cute" when your baby cooes at you or gives you a sunny smile. These are very appropriate uses of the word. There now, cute rant is off my chest.
1 comment:
That it hilarious! I can totally picture these people using the word "cute" in their high pitched voices. I thought Utains had a completely different vocabulary when I lived there.
Post a Comment