Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Run, Liza, Run!

Yes, friends, I am so thrilled to say that I am running again! I got my shoes on Friday. Yesterday I ran 2 miles, and 2 miles this morning. I'm running on my parent's treadmill, which is not as nice as running outside. But it is so wonderful to just be moving again. What is it that is so addicting about running?

I've made friends with this woman who also has a son in swimming lessons. Her father runs (and wins in his age group) marathons. She has run 3 marathons with him, and just missed qualifying for the Boston by 8 minutes. I love talking to other runners, it really inspires me. So I'm all revved up and so excited! I'm going to find a race in the area to get ready for.

This year for Father's Day I got a Mother's Day present. It was pretty crazy on Mother's Day this year, so it was just a little late. But worth the wait! DH gave me a Shower Bug, check it out. It's a radio you can listen to in your shower.

So now I can listen to NPR in the shower. Those of you who know me know that I'm fairly obsessed with NPR. This morning Diane Rehm, who is one of my NPR heroes, was interviewing Professor Forni from Johns Hopkins. You can check it out at www.wamu.org, Diane Rehm Show under "The Civility Solution." Really interesting interview about how being civil, polite, and courteous to the people we interact with is so crucial to our happiness and even our health. The professor is Italian and aside from thoroughly enjoying his accent, I loved what he had to say. I'm going to look into his book, The 25 Rules of Civility. I'll summarize with what I took away from it: teach your children manners!

3 comments:

Tom said...

I'm glad you like the bug. You even blogged about it.

Emily said...

Yes, NPR is great...
Congratulatons on the running, I'm going to start small by setting a goal for running 3 times a week. I used to run a lot, but over the last few years I've fallen into fitness apostasy...time to re-activate myself! Thanks for your example.

Michelle said...

That is great that you're running again. I wish I could run. That interview sounds interesting. Maybe I'll look up that book too, I need a good book to read.