Sunday, July 25, 2010

Zucchini Bread No. 2

Zucchini Bread II
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1/4 t baking powder
1 T cinnamon
1 t salt
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 c extra virgin coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
1/2 c applesauce
1 3/4 c sugar
2 (generous) T molasses
1 T vanilla
3 c grated zucchini (one monstrous zucchini)
nuts (optional)

Grease and flour two loaf pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Combine beaten eggs with oil*, applesauce, sugar, molasses and vanilla. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Fold in zucchini. Add nuts if desired to taste.
Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake for 60 minutes in preheated oven or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Notes: This had such a yummy crust on it. I think the whole wheat in it gave it a heartier texture. I could also really taste the cinnamon in this one, and I liked that, too. My original recipe called for un-greased pans and that was a big mistake, which I discovered to my dismay, when I tried to take the bread out of the pans. I added sunflower seeds to one loaf and I liked that too. The bread turned out moist, but not gummy, not too sweet but a nice treat for a snack. Overall, I think I like this bread better than my first attempt. Yum!

*Extra virgin coconut oil is solid at room temperature, but melts at about 75 degrees. If you want to make sure the liquid ingredients incorporate correctly, you'll want to warm the coconut oil over low heat (or just set it outside in a sunny spot for a few minutes). EV coconut oil has some amazing health benefits, including, paradoxically, weight loss. If you haven't tried it, or if you haven't heard of it, you can start here.

3 comments:

Penne said...

I need to cook more with coconut oil!

Heather said...

Yumm!! I love zucchini bread. One of my all time favorite treats! Thanks for the recipie

Angie Judd said...

Oil that can help weight loss? Why haven't I been cooking with that? Seriously.