Ok... just kidding, but here's the account I wrote that day.
The night before I set two alarms. I knew I'd be waking up to check the clock all night if I wasn't sure something would wake me up in time. I haven't seen 3:00 am for a very long time. I had an english muffin with an egg and lots of water. I was on the first shuttle to leave for the starting line at 3:30. It took us about 40 minutes to get up there. I still had over an hour before start. I spent the time shivering in the port-a-potty line and making chit-chat with anyone nearby. You wouldn't have believed it was pre-dawn with all the nervous energy in the air.
At 5:15 I made my way to the middle of the pack at the starting line. At 5:30 it was drizzling steadily and any hopes I had of staying dry were quickly abandoned. The horn sounded at 5:45. The sun was up, but it was misty and overcast. We ran through Wallsburg, flanked by gentle hills shrouded in a heavy fringe of mist. Starting elevation was over 6,000 ft.
I started out fast. When I passed the two mile marker my watch was at 17:00, a little faster than my planned pace. It was a steady downhill and I tried to pace myself. I was still ahead of schedule at 10 miles, but I could tell I'd come into my stride. It hadn't ever stopped raining, and by that time I was very wet. It was chilly enough to keep my jacket on. When I came out of the canyon I was at about mile 20, and feeling a little weepy. There were some families who had managed to park and cheer up the canyon. One family would cheer, drive down half a mile or so, and cheer again. I passed them probably half a dozen times.
I knew my family was waiting about a mile from the mouth of the canyon, and I was really looking forward to seeing some familiar faces. By the time I got to them I was hurting and tired. My back was sore, probably just from 21 miles of downhill impact. Tiffany was a godsend, she finished the last five miles with me. She kept up a steady stream of encouragement. I'd slowed down, we were walking pretty frequently. I remember eyeing a patch of lawn and wishing I could lie down on it. At the start line I'd overheard a woman advising a novice that 20 miles was only halfway. It's true.
I crossed the finish line 4 hrs, 32 minutes after I started, making my second marathon a personal record that beat my first time by 60 minutes. I felt pretty good, all things considered. I went and got a massage, and some pizza. And when I got home I soaked in a hot bath and washed the grime of 26 miles off.
Lessons Learned from Marathon #2:
Oranges don't like to stay down after 13 miles.
If you drop your gloves between mile 19 and 20, don't try to bend down to pick them up, you'll only look ridiculous when you get stuck.
Black is always flattering, even when sweaty and muddy.
Music is a good thing... OR a pumping bass and screaming guitar can be very motivating.
Don't pay attention to who you pass, then you won't know when they pass you.
Crying doesn't always make you feel better.
I'm so glad I did it. A big thank you to my family for putting up with a frequently tired, grumpy, sore mommy for 4 months! A special thank you to Tom. His loving support and encouragement is what keeps me going, mile after mile... after mile...
3 comments:
You are a winner in my book! I am so glad I was there again and I will be there next time as well. I am so proud of you--great job!
Wow! I'm so proud of you! I'm training for one now but I'm really nervous. I'm still early on in the program. But congrats!!
Yes, the "crying doesn't always make you feel better" certainly is true of other life "marathons" I've had, but it is always an encouraging tale to hear that those non-average motivation folks (unlike myself) that actually make it to the end of such an ordeal that would mean my doom if I were called upon to treck myself in one day down to Happy Valley because Salt Lake was blown up by alien Democrats from another dimension. (shawn)
Post a Comment