Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Zucchini Heaven

Every day as I stand at the sink to wash dishes, I have a view of our garden. Right now what I see is dominated by a forest of squash plants that are extending tendrils out into the surrounding grass. I have two pumpkin plants, two zucchini plants and one squash. Our zucchini are just coming on. This morning I brought in three monstrously beautiful specimens nearly as long and as big around as Tom's arm (I swear they weren't that big yesterday!).

So this afternoon while Eli was napping I set to work on zucchini bread. I am on a quest to find the perfect recipe. This afternoon I enjoyed the fruits of my labor. Can you think of anything, dear reader, more delectable than a fresh-from-the-oven slice of tender zucchini bread, slathered with butter? Well, perhaps you can, and for that matter perhaps I could if set myself to it. I'm sure by the time my zucchini plants are done this year I will have no trouble whatsoever thinking of something better. But it made the top of the list today. Mmmmm... zucchini heaven.

Here is the recipe I used today:
Zucchini Bread I

3 c flour
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
3 t cinnamon
1 3/4 c sugar
1/2 c oil
1/2 c applesauce
1 T vanilla
3 eggs, beaten
2 generous cups grated zucchini
1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips

Grease and flour two 9x5 loaf pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl combine sugar, applesauce, vanilla, and eggs. Beat to combine. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stir until incorporated. Fold in zucchini, then chocolate chips. Pour into prepared loaf pans. Bake for 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pans on a wire rack for about 20 minutes, then remove from pans and allow to cool. Or do like I did and slice a piece as soon as it's cool enough to handle.

Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

lis said...

mmmm, yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Emily said...

I love zucchini...