So, I confess, I've read the books... all of them. Much to my irritation. And the movie is to be released Friday. My initial reaction is that the movie couldn't possibly be worse than the books. At least we won't have to read several hundred times how irresistible Edward is, and how perfect his skin is, how impossibly beautiful etc. etc. But there are a lot of ways to ruin a movie. Take the latest Star Wars as an example (not the CGI one, which I did not see). Could the dialogue have been any more embarrassingly dull and witless? Or screen play, cinematography, directing - the list goes on. And let's face it, we're talking superhuman vampire special effects here. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon pulled the flying human off beautifully, but I'm not terribly impressed by the clips I see in the trailers... and yes, I've watched all of them... more than once.
And then there's this funny thing with the release date being moved up by three weeks. But no early release for critical review. Not a good sign. Ok, so this post has been sufficiently ambivalent. You're all wondering whether I'm going to go spend money to see it, why I (apparently) wasted my time reading the books, and why I'm bothering to even post about it(!) (I mean, really... quit complaining, woman!) Excellent questions. There are more equally perplexing questions I could add to the list. I will address only one. Will I go see it? Hard to say. Depends on reviews. I might. It would sure be nice if my reservations proved completely unfounded. It's so disappointing when a good idea (or even a tantalizing idea - like eternal life, limitless wealth, boundless strength and speed) goes from tedious on the page to sour on the screen.
6 comments:
The previews for it look extremely cheesy!
I also read the books- it just apeals to the girlieness inside, what can I say? I will be seeing the movie out of curiosity. It's like a trainwreck; so horrible and yet you can't look away!
Haha... that is a good analogy. Morbid, but appropriate!
Your sister said that at the midnight showing the theater was packed wall-to-wall with screaming girls. Every time Edward came on screen there were sighs and shrieks. What a phenomenon.
oh my gosh, wasn't the movie AWFUL?? My friend and I just laughed at it the whole time. Yikes.
I am so grateful to have a clear seeing, intelligent friend like you in the midst of all this horrible vampire mania. I don't think I've read a worse book in a long time. Maybe a Nora Robers that my mom said I HAD to read. I guess even Nora has her following. But thank you for not raving about glittering high school monsters and dreamy prose. Gag. When will the next big thing get here? Hurry Please! I can't take much more..
Post a Comment