Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Blood and Water

As you all know, Tom and I and our three children moved into my parents' home seven months ago. We will be moving out soon to make our home in Provo. I was reflecting on our experiences living here. There is nothing quite like living apart from family for a number of years (in my case nine) only to come back and be right on top of them -- or rather, in their basement. My eyes have been opened! And, I think our presence here has also been something of a revelation to them.

Specifically, the other morning I was thinking that as families living close to each other we can't hide our weaknesses from each other. I have seen bald-faced deceit, pettiness, selfishness, laziness, irresponsibility, gossip, back-biting, pride, meanness, negligence, bickering and jealousy. Please, lest you think I am pointing a finger in self-righteousness, allow me to correct you. I am no more perfect than anyone, and I am far from innocent. Growing closer to a person often gives the misconception that one has greater license to judge and criticize. Doing so would be unjust and highly hypocritical on my part. But that really isn't my intent here. I quickly grew weary of my list of dirty laundry and I set out to think of the good things my family has to offer and has given freely. It wasn't hard. Generosity, patience, love, forgiveness, charity, loyalty, strength, sympathy, kindness, friendship, joy and hope are all things that I have seen in my family. I think my family is unique in many ways, but in our weaknesses and hopefully our strengths we are not so different from any other.

Blood is thicker than water. I am so blessed to have my family and my husband's family around me. As my mother's family joined us to celebrate Thanksgiving recently, I felt their love was a palpable thing. True, it's been a little more intense than I anticipated, but I am so grateful for them!

3 comments:

will said...

I don't know how that couldn't be an intense experience. The intensity on one side of a duality is generally matched by the intensity on the other.

Gina said...

I am impressed by your continued gratitude and cheerfulness.

Tom said...

These seven months have been a good experience. We've all learned. Your family has been very generous to us. It will be yet another big change to move into our own home.