There are things in life that are so big, so important and all-encompassing that they require a great deal of faith or sheer folly to embark on and a whole lot of work to keep up. Marriage, babies and houses fall under this category. How many young (or old, for that matter) people have made the decision to get married without a clear idea of whom they are marrying? And even if you do have a clear idea, my experience has been that people and feelings can change. So, you make the decision to love them anyway and make it work. And babies: it doesn't matter if that baby is as ugly as anything you've ever seen, you sure don't give 'em back! Well... I've come to feel the same way about houses. The prospect of buying a home is daunting. It is a huge commitment of money, time and work. Any home you're going to find will likely have some drawbacks. But assuming you're responsible and careful about choosing, you can work around those.
Well, dear readers I have found a home that I've fallen in love with. It's quite a charmer coming to you straight from the 19th century. Sure, it might be a little drafty, and sure the closets are a little lacking. But windows can be replaced, and who doesn't love a wardrobe? It sure isn't like any other home on the street! OK, so I'm loony! Only a loony would marry an academic, willingly endure the pains of childbirth (thrice!), swath her babies in cloth diapers, and fall head over heels in love with a home that is almost 120 years old. Sigh... I'll let you know if our offer is accepted.
8 comments:
Well it looks like I am pretty loony too... all I need is a couple more kids and an old house. I love old houses! I can't wait to see yours!
Looking forward to hearing if you got the house :)
How lovely you've found a house to be in love with! I hope that closing goes quick and that all you "crazy" people can be in your home for christmas! YAY!
The first house Steve and I lived in was a 150 years old.
You sound like my kind of woman.
Hey, Elizabeth, we must be two peas in a pod. We've so much in common with the academia and the childbirth (though I'm three months away from birthing my 4th!). The house sounds like it's just my style and I can't wait to hear more about it. Good luck!
Hooray!!! I"m as loony as you are! I LOVE an old home! The older the better! I can't wait to see it! You are sooo lucky! There is nothing like living in a home you can really truly love and make a member of the family. *sigh* Good luck!! I hope you get it :) And if not, there's a better one around the corner! Miss you
Thanks for inviting me into this private place of Spencerness. Good luck with the house offer. I grew up in a 19th century pioneer house in Payson and loved it. I hope you'll put up some photos of it if it becomes your home.
Post a Comment