Thursday, October 9, 2008

A time and a season

The leaves are beginning to turn in the mountains. I was chatting with our next door neighbor today about a tree in our yard that has turned the prettiest brilliant red. This tree is right in the view she sees through her kitchen window and she mentioned to me how beautiful it was. She said she grew up in Ohio and the trees there were breathtaking in the fall. I felt a pang of homesickness for NC.

Once, some weeks ago while I was singing with our church choir I felt a sudden longing for CSD and to sing with and hear my dear friends' voices again. I really miss that kind of musical experience. And then yesterday I had to call my childrens' pediatric clinic back there to check on immunization records. The nurse that called me back was so sweet and so kind... and she spoke with a North Carolina accent. I loved it! It really made me reflect that we will never go back.

DH and I may have grown up here, but we as a family are foreign to these parts.

But on to happier things. Baby is crawling!! A couple days ago he decided he'd had enough of the sedentary life, and figured out, through a combination of rolling and scooting, how to get around. So far he's gotten into a number of things we'd rather he not. For starters he's shown an appetite for magazines, and legos. Here he is testing his skills on a rubber snake. He is now 6 months old, he is over 22 pounds, and is 29" long. He has eight teeth, and he is exceptionally good-natured. When he gets tired he grabs your face (and remember that little hands are not gentle hands) or hair and happily attempts to eat your face right off. I'll try to get a picture of it, it's hilarious to see. Baby's bunting arrived today, and just in time for chilly weather!

3 comments:

Robin Holt said...

I love the bear outfit.

Anonymous said...

I understand the loss of "home". Change, even expected and desired change can be quite hard. I can't believe baby is already 6 months! He looks a lot like his mama:)

lis said...

Hearing a warm, Southern accent always brings a smile for me. Happy times. What an adorable Bear you have!