Sunday, September 14, 2008
Where were you?
On Sept. 11 this week I.'s school put on an assembly to honor the seventh anniversary of the WTC attacks. The next morning he came into my bedroom (I was still in bed), and said, "I know that there were two tall buildings in a city and two planes flew into them." I called him over closer to me and explained to him what had happened that day, and why it is important to remember it. The morning of September 11, 2001, I was in bed in a college dorm room when my roommate woke me up to tell me that a plane had crashed into one of the World Trade Center towers. I watched a few minutes later as the second plane crashed into the second one. I remember watching the towers collapse. That week was one of shock, horror, and grief for me, even though I did not personally lose anyone. I had pushed these thoughts and feelings aside on the actual day, September 11. But when I. came in with that, I couldn't help remembering, and crying as I explained it all to my son. Reflecting on this, I wondered what my children will remember, and what they will mourn, or celebrate in their lives.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
On the 11th I was buying some food at Wendy's and my total was $9.11. This reminded me that it was September 11. When I heard of the attack I was in my car with Doug. We weren't married yet, but we were doing something in north provo. I remember being struck with unbelief.
Post a Comment