Quick, think of all the songs you've heard in your life about Monday. Manic Monday (The Bangles), Monday, Monday (The Mamas and the Papas), I Don't Like Monday (Boomtown Rats) are just a few that come to mind. Well, I hereby absolve Monday. Monday is great, it's a day to get things done. You've had the weekend to check in with family, and God, and you're ready for life (usually).
There is, however, a day of the week that I dread. It is the day that I feel every last one of the tortuous 12 million push-ups and squats I've done in my life. Have you ever noticed (women) that your period always starts on a Wednesday? And there are never any holidays on Wednesdays. EVER. (And don't try to convince me that Christmas is occasionally on a Wednesday... it's a lie) If you're going to get sick, I can assure you, it will happen on a Wednesday. Bills arrive on Wednesdays. Whatever goals, whatever struggle you're fighting, you will fall off that wagon... come on, sing it with me now, ON WEDNESDAY! It's grey on Wednesdays... the sun simply doesn't shine. It's miserable and cold, or miserable and hot. It's rainy, or it's snowy, or it's windy or it isn't any of those, but it might as well be for how wretched I feel. Wednesday is just a worthless day. They couldn't even manage to spell it right. I'll be the first to admit that English has some real whoppers when it comes to exceptions on spelling and pronunciation, but WED-NES-DAY?? Really?
Extreme circumstances call for extreme measures. From here on, I am boycotting Wednesdays. Denial has always been the most effective treatment for unpleasant realities. This is something we all practice. This year, for example, I will be turning 28... again. Yes... Wednesday will simply not be a part of my week anymore. Instead, maybe I'll have Tuesday twice. Or perhaps I'll go back to Monday when it's Wednesday's turn.
OK, now I've vented, I can move on... to Thursday... oh, blessed Thursday! You're only a day away! Help me, Thursday, you're my only hope...
4 comments:
hear hear.
I have a cold. I am still in the same pajamas I put on after church on Sunday. Steve is working late. I hate wednesday. Did I say wednesday...I meant second tuesday.
this post...just what I needed to laugh at an otherwise miserable...that's right...wednesday. you hit it on the head.
Most wednesday day I plan a roadtrip in my head far far away from here.
Maybe I'll stay late on Wednesdays...
I think your son Eli hates Wednesdays also because that is the day when Evelyn tortues him. Poor kid....There is a special place in heaven for him!
I would almost agree with you here, but I often look forward to Wednesday's because that means it's the end of the busyness at work and it means that the next is Thursday, which just one more day closer to the weekend. I can understand some of the hatred for Wednesday. :)
Post a Comment