Friday, December 3, 2010

Decadent Chocolate Cake

I've made this cake several times. It's fool-proof, and so easy. In fact, I've hesitated to give out the recipe because I feel like I'm admitting I cheated. It's that easy. I love bundt cakes. They're so lovely to look at, but you can also make this as a layer cake. It doesn't need icing, but there are people out there who can't quite grasp the concept of a cake without frosting. If you're one of those people, try it without just once, and if it still doesn't hit the spot, add a ganache. I made it for the first time last night with a ganache. It was yummy, but I think I prefer it without.



Ingredients
1 dark chocolate or chocolate fudge cake mix
1 5.9 oz. chocolate fudge instant pudding mix
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup reduced fat or fat free sour cream
4 eggs
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Grease and flour a 10 inch bundt pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together cake mix, pudding mix, oil, sour cream, eggs and water. Mixture will be thick. Add chocolate chips. Spoon batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 30 minutes then carefully turn out onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely. Once cool you can add the ganache, or dust it with powdered sugar.

This is a cake that will impress your guests. Don't tell them it's mostly from a mix! The secret is yours to keep for as long as you dare!

6 comments:

Penne said...

I think I might be able to make that work gluten free. Sounds absolutely yummmmmmy!

Unknown said...

I think I'll have to try it because Jess and I love to make your cookies that you've posted and this sounds simple Fantastic!

Rebekah V. said...

Merry Christmas to me! A lovely dessert to bring to holiday parties that makes me look like a young barefoot contessa? Sign me up. Also sign me up for a house in the hamptons while your at it.

Tiff Jolley said...

Hold on a minute, is this the cake that you've made for birthday's sometimes and it's just thick and totally divine? I can't remember but if it's your cooking I know it's good :)

Angie Judd said...

I have this SAME recipe! LOVE it. Someday I am going to try a cherry cake mix with vanilla pudding...or a vanilla cake mix with banana pudding...or....

Tiffanie said...

That cake was sooooo delicious! Thanks for sharing!