I make my bread from scratch. I start by grinding up a whole #10 can of wheat berries. I mix the ingredients while the flour is still warm.
5 c hot water
2/3 c oil
2/3 c honey or sugar
2 T salt
2 T instant yeast
12-14 c whole wheat flour
I mix half the flour with all of the other ingredients to combine thoroughly, then I gradually add the rest of the flour in. Caleb often helps me measure the ingredients, and he stirs until it becomes too difficult. When it all comes together in an un-stirrable mass, I turn it out and let him have a shot at kneading, but he quickly gives way to me. I am a kneading hero in his eyes.
I set my kitchen timer for 10 minutes. This is when my therapy begins. The first two minutes are always the hardest until I find a rhythm, and my mind wanders. I think of my friend who taught me how to knead dough, and of that warm spring afternoon in her apartment kitchen. I was very pregnant with Isaac. Rebekah kept encouraging me to work the dough a little harder, and I remember wondering if this might just send me into labor. I remember the woman who taught her to knead dough. Gayle Hatch was our Relief Society president for years in Chapel Hill. She had strong arms, brown from gardening and, apparently, kneading a wicked mean batch of dough. I miss these women and so many more. I miss the place where I first learned to be a mother, and a friend. My shoulders begin to ache just a bit.
I think of my family, who will eat this bread for snacks, lunches, even dinner and breakfast sometimes. This work I am doing will fill us up for the next week.
And then the timer rings. I make three loaves and place them in greased pans. I spray the loaves with cooking spray and cover them with a wet dish towel. When they have risen to about an inch above the tops of the pans they are ready to bake. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. I smell them for the last 20 minutes and it is intoxicating. If you aren't in the habit of baking your own bread, the smell alone is worth the effort. Remove the loaves immediately from their pans. I'm supposed to wait to cut into them, but I never do. Caleb and Eli like theirs with jam, I prefer mine with honey. In this moment, with the warm smell of fresh bread lingering in my home, and my childrens' mouths and bellies full, I am a success. I am the mother I need to be.
5 comments:
Yes, Baking bread! Another item on my list of things to learn. Those men and boys are lucky to have a lady in the house who cooks so well, and in a nutritionally aware,health-conscious way. You're a great cook! I always enjoy the things you make for family gatherings. I have a new blog address:
littleblacktulip.blogspot.com
I also have a new post on there that I want to share!.
And it does taste good...
I miss you..and Rebekah..and Sister Hatch. I miss the life and the lessons learned. You may have just inspired me to trying kneading by hand. I've always let the machine do it and then I place it in my pans. But your description makes it almost sound dreamy. :)
You make awesome bread! I only wish I could eat it---I go crazy smelling it when you cook. I wish I had been there more to help you learn some of those things as well. Now we are close maybe we can "can" together!
I miss that time. The learning and the coming into motherhood. I miss our talks and the side by side family experience. I miss feeling the excitement about gardening, bread, cloth diapers, natural birth, home schooling and "the future". In terms of bread making that was the mixing and the rising time. And now I am just living and crossing my fingers that the batch will turn out with what I was able to put in the bowl and hoping I don't burn it! Thanks for reminding me of those times today. I wonder if life does ever have that sense of expanding again? I really miss you. Darn this stupid transient modern world. Eliza J., as far as i am concerned, you and I belong in the same village for life.
Post a Comment