Thursday, September 24, 2009

B is for Blueberry

Last week I bought 12 pints of blueberries for $14. We like blueberries around our house. Tom likes them in his breakfast smoothie, I like them slightly warmed in hot cereal, or piping hot in muffins, pancakes and waffles. But I think the one who prizes them most highly is my little Eli.

This morning I fixed myself a bowl of oat bran with blueberries from the freezer. Eli soon realized what I had in my bowl and became very excited, gesturing, babbling, and finally resorting to frantically signing "more." I offered the blueberries to him from my spoon. You would think that with as much as he clearly wanted those suckers, he'd wolf them down. Oh no, my friends. This 18 month old is a connoisseur.

With each offering he gasped gently, babbled encouragingly, and lovingly lifted it to his waiting lips. Each bite was followed by a sigh before he eagerly signed... you guessed it: more. What rapturous consumption!

When he is older I'll remind him that the blueberry is a superfood, and that when we love someone we give them the very best. When he's older I'll tell him fondly of how he'd eat blueberries until his poop was blue.

6 comments:

Tom said...

What a sweetly scatological post.

Penne said...

I will have blueberries when he comes to visit!

The Chipmans said...

Well said! How are you guys doing? How is Isaac doing in school? How are flute lessons? We still miss you all terribly bad and I am constantly considering packing up and coming to see you all. There are pictures of the new house on our blog: mikeandlaurachipman.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

thanks for the laugh.

Rebekah V. said...

I love the gasp every time he gets a new berry! I can't believe he is already at gasping age! And BTW the pacing of this little piece was delightful.

Rebekah V. said...

P.S.
Thanks for the 1/2 hour of measured, thoughtful and sweet prose. I enjoyed reading your blog today!