Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Waking nights

A cry in the night, nothing moves in this old house
But my shadow
He hears my step at the door, a catch in his throat.
Hush child, melt in my arms

I rock forward and back

Forward and back, forward and back
Pale cheek glows blue-white in the moonlight
Breath comes short and heartbroken
Tears not yet forgotten linger uneasily

A hint of regret tinges the air
The years will fly, this cannot last
Unspoken words march across my vision
I hold each one come before in this moment
Forward and back, forward and back

Short and shallow now, he will sleep
Forward and back, I keep on
For regret, for love, for yearning
Forward and back, forward and back

5 comments:

Penne said...

How beautiful! I love reading your writing.

Tom said...

Nicely captured, dear. I feel some of those same things.

Anonymous said...

Lovely, thanks for sharing.

Michelle said...

I wish I could write poetry, it just doesn't come to me. That was beautifully written

Rebekah V. said...

"this cannot last"...Didn't think I would be having a bit of a cry today but I did. This pulled it right out of me. This poem is very October.