I have had the opportunity to reflect on this tenet of my faith. I went to the gym Friday morning to work out and within a few hours, found I was too miserable to do much else other than lie in bed and moan. I am rarely sick, and I was rather taken by surprise this time. I'm still not entirely sure what exactly is ailing me. I think I might be making a slow recovery. It's been five hours since I last took Tylenol, which is an hour longer than I was able to go between doses since yesterday morning. I'm not in a nearly delusional state due to pain and fatigue, it's definitely a clearing haze. Things are looking up.
But I've taken the chance, as I said, to reflect on opposites. Opposition allows us to appreciate things to a greater depth. I assure you, when I can get out of bed (tomorrow morning... maybe?) I will relish that more than I did a few days ago. Hunger accentuates our pleasure in food. Earning an income after years of taking out student loans is particularly satisfying. All these things temper our perspective, moderate our passions, make us into more empathetic people.
I cannot help but reflect, too, on those who feel no relief from their suffering. I know, and love people who suffer chronic pain. There are people who never have enough to eat, and many who never have quite enough to get by, through no fault of their own.
I have been reading, in a required text for the sociology class I am taking this semester, about inequality. In the text, the questions are posed, is inequality necessary? Surely inequality, like opposition, is universal. But, is it a good thing? And for whom? I don't really know the answers to those questions. But I like to think about them, and I hope that as you think about these things tonight, dear Reader, you will be grateful for whatever blessings you enjoyed today. I am grateful for the extra hour without Tylenol... but I think maybe I need to go take some more now. I fear I may be spiraling into another haze.
To healthier times, dear Reader!
Love,
The Professor's Wife
1 comment:
Thank you so much for that! I needed to hear it. It would be fun to take classes again and read something above a 1st grade reading level. Btw the Christmas card I sent to you and the family just got returned. I swear I wrote the address right. Can you email it to me so I can double check. I hope you're getting better soon!
Post a Comment