Friday, January 28, 2011
Butter Time
Each morning, I see my day as if it were divided into wedges of time. A wedge for the gym, one for breakfast, one for showering... And each morning, I am full of energy, and determination. My wedges are like butter that has been in the freezer. A creamy yellow, lovely and solid. But as the day draws on, the wedges thaw out. They sag a bit, and as I carve them out, they become messier and less manageable. Fussy, puking or just messy kids obliterate my lunch wedge. An emergency visit to the doctor cuts a homework wedge in half. Or perhaps I just stick around the house in my pajamas too long... there goes a wedge of running errands. By late afternoon my day of lovely wedges is a mess that has melted in the heat of attrition, pooled up and spilled all over everything. At this point, there is nothing to be done but damage control. Once the butter has been taken out it can't be re-frozen. Luckily, there will be a fresh butter pie to take out tomorrow morning, solid, round, and hopeful for a new day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So true! I love the analogy - what creative thinking. And definitely something we can all relate to. I love to read your writing!
I like that. It's just awkward enough to be true.
Post a Comment