I still need to finish that assignment. Dinner isn't ready. The kitchen needs some attention. I should feed the dog before she decides to jump into bed with me. But I stay and watch as feathery dark lashes float down, flutter back up. Down... and... asleep. His lips stand out red tonight, and I think that he may already be starting on a fever. The delicate criss-cross of pink veins across his eyelids and the light pink splotch of birthmark on his forehead are just visible in the lamp-light. His arms are tucked neatly, one propping up his head, the other folded across his body... just the way I like to fall asleep.
Mary Wollstonecraft was a rabid feminist at the end of the 18th century in England. She believed that women's domestic duties were nothing but slavery. She even denounced marriage - which may not sound like too much now, but this was strong stuff for the times - until she became pregnant. She was in a relationship with William Godwin, the father of the anarchist movement, who also publicly denounced marriage. But before the baby was born they married. Mary died within days after giving birth to a daughter, Mary, who would go on to become Mary Shelley - the woman who brought us our favorite gothic monster Frankenstein (actually, Frankenstein was the doctor, not the monster). But I cannot help but wonder if the militant feminist would have softened. If, like her resolve to shun marriage, her ferocious hatred of domestic duties might have eroded in the dream of family life. The dream...
I am not surprised when Eli wakes up half an hour later, moaning, flushed and clearly feverish. A few days ago I was in his position, and I know what he is suffering. I ache for him. I think of Mary Wollestonecraft. I think, hopefully (wishfully?), that if she had lived to raise a family, that she would have had the bigness of spirit to see the wonder in it.
3 comments:
Amen and amen. Some feminism has made this move.
Oh so sorry! There is nothing worse than a sick child and nothing in the world more wonderful than motherhood. I love being yours!
love love love this post. Amen, sister- to those of us who have chosen motherhood- not because we didn't have an alternative, or because we are "natural" mothering types, but because we had faith it would turn us into something greater and help us live life more fully.
Post a Comment