Monday, November 1, 2010

The worth of an Egg

Dear Reader, I present for your consideration on this lovely autumn morning, the amazing, the illustrious, the fortuitous Egg. Have you ever pondered the simplistic beauty of an egg? For my purposes today, I will not delve into the miracle of the hatching of an egg, but rather the eating of an egg. In interests of full disclosure, I must say I am not in the egg industry, I make no money on eggs. My love affair with eggs really began when I was nursing Caleb and I learned that a breastfeeding woman has to have about a bazillion grams of protein a day. I started fixing two eggs for myself every morning. My family goes through about 5 dozen eggs a week. In short, dear reader, the EGG is my favorite movie star.

Consider the efficiency of an egg. In one egg there are 70 calories, 6 grams of the highest quality protein, and a good dose of Omega 3 fatty acids. Good for your heart, and mind and every other muscle in your body.

There are so many ways to prepare an egg. Scrambled, fried, poached, boiled, over-easy, sunny-side up,  be-deviled, I'm sure there are more. They're a great breakfast, they make a quick, hot dinner. On the side, or as a main attraction, they shine either way. 

The key to preparing an egg is temperature. An egg over-cooked will harden into a plastic-like texture. Kept at a low-medium heat and cooked slowly, eggs will be fluffy when scrambled, tender when fried. This morning I scrambled my eggs in butter (I'm still waiting for the study to be released that says butter is good for you.). On low-medium heat, add salt and pepper to taste and stir, stir, stir, until the eggs begin to fluff up like pillows in the pan. Keep stirring until eggs are evenly cooked. Serve hot and enjoy... with your two year old. Who likes to swap bites even when everyone has the exact same thing.

The Egg... go fix one... or three today.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish that I could go fix an egg right now... I guess I'll just have to wait until after work to have a deliciously healthy egg...

Tom said...

Nice egg.

Rebekah V. said...

My sister and I agree that the egg is actually the perfect comfort food. I love eggs and with great enthusiasm shout "AMEN!"

You might want to check out this post over at my sisters blog

http://pomellofarm.blogspot.com/2010/07/what-are-you-chicken.html

lis said...

We go through dozens of eggs weekly at our house too! Nutritious and inexpensive...