Thursday, September 23, 2010

Nishat Khan & Zakir Hussain in Calcutta - Part 2

Tom and I had the great fortune to see Ustad Nishat Khan perform the other night. As a musician trained in the western classical tradition I felt I was exposed to an entirely alien world. And I loved it. Nishat Khan is renowned in India and worldwide as the foremost sitar player. Sitar, as I understand it is traditionally accompanied by the tabla, which are the drums you see in the video. Sitar music is comprised of ragas, which are melodies that have never been notated. They are passed down orally from one generation to the next. Nishat Khan's family have been playing the sitar for 400 years. So each raga is based on a melody with specific rules for descending and ascending lines. It is based on improvisation. Nishat Khan was a superbly generous performer. He was constantly gesturing, and speaking to the tabla player and the audience. It was impossible not to feel as if I were every bit a part of his performance as he was. Watching the video is a poor substitute for being in his presence, but I hope you get a sense for the skill and warm nature Nishat Khan exudes in his playing.




2 comments:

Penne said...

I can see why you enjoyed it. I am glad you could go.

Pam LaPine said...

What a treat it is to get to read your thoughts and share in your life. Thought I should tell you how nice it is and I look forward to your wonderful perspective on the world.