Saturday, September 25, 2010

Just Peachy

This is a special time of year. When children leave for school in a jacket over a T-shirt and shorts. The Jacket for them to huddle in, shivering all morning, until the sun comes up and they can shed their layers, pretending that fall hasn't yet cast her shadow over the summer sun. A time when summer flowers throw themselves out in one last splurge of color, a vibrant farewell. A time when the pink and red-golden hues of peaches crowd roadside fruit stands. Pumpkins are ripening on the vine, growing fat on anticipation of the holidays to come. This is my favorite time of year.

My mother and I canned peaches this afternoon. This was a first for me. We got 10 quarts out of half a bushel. They are lined up on my kitchen counter, a golden testament to the day's work. It seems something of a waste to preserve something so it will keep for years, and pop it open a day later, but I may not be able to resist. I'm thinking one of my bottles of peaches may very well star in a breakfast cast tomorrow morning. I found a way to make a "syrup" out of fruit juice and water instead of using sugar. I used pineapple and orange juice. I'll have to let you all know how it tastes. Next weekend, I think we will get into some jamming. There are certain things that I hate to spend money on that we simply go through like water around my house. Kleenex, cold cereal, graham crackers and jam are some of those things. Now, I can't make any of those things, though I have tried, with the exception of jam. So, stay tuned, dear reader for your upcoming Jam Bonanza, next Saturday!

No comments: