The Professor and I recently celebrated 8 years of wedded bliss. I think you'll agree that we look particularly blissful here.
In those eight years, I don't think we have one single photo of us together that I like. (but that's beside the point)
My sister picked up a wedding photo I keep in the kitchen just last night and said how young we looked. We were. My 20th birthday was just two weeks before the wedding. Tom was a ripened 25. How stupid we were, how flustered with love, how hopeful. I had seen divorce in my extended family, I had seen the devastation it caused. I was young, but I think I knew enough about marriage to feel a fierce determination. That determination has only increased since then. There have been times when I wasn't happy with the Professor. During the worst of those times I wondered if perhaps I might be happier setting out on my own. But when I married Tom, I didn't just marry a person. I married marriage. I committed myself to this life, the life we have created and will create. That includes our children, but it amounts to so much more than that. I believe that two sincerely good people, whatever their background, personal tastes, or beliefs can make a marriage work if they set out to do so. I am blessed with a husband who agrees with me on this point.
Tuesday night my dad called me to tell me that he had moved out. In his words, they have not divorced, but are headed in that direction. To myself and my siblings, this comes as a surprise. Less so in some ways to my mother. He is turning his back on us and 29 years of marriage to pursue his own happiness. I admired my father, I trusted him, and thought he was a man of integrity, a man worthy of my esteem. As more and more details of his conduct have come to my knowledge in the past 48 hours I can do nothing but accept that he is not the man I thought he was.
The Professor has been a picture of support, and for that I am so grateful. I have not told my children. For now it is too raw, and they are too young. My mother and sisters and I have gathered together as much as possible. It is a bittersweet balm to draw closer as a family, wounded and broken though we may be. But even as we try to steady each other with unsteady hands, we are determined to make lemonade from these lemons. Your prayers and support as we work through all of this are much appreciated.


10 comments:
Elizabeth, I was thinking the other day how much a parents' divorce can feel like a death. This thing that was, all of a sudden, isn't anymore. Also when someone you thought you knew turns out to be somebody else it is, in some ways, like watching them die but they are still standing right in front of you. i was thinking of all of this independant of your circumstances but I still felt these pangs for the difficulty of it. Now that you have shared these developments in your family I feel the pangs more deeply and I am so, so sorry that you are going through this. You are in my thoughts and you are in my prayers as are the other members of your family.
It is so hard when things change. Grieving is a messy business.
Maybe one of these days we can have a chat if A)you feel like it and B)My children allow it.
Ya'll are in my prayers - I love you.
I really don't know what to say--but you have heard it. I love you.
Sorry seems so inadequate for this. I am sure the feeling of betrayal is extreme and that is a hard thing to move past. Difficult times bring out the amazing in people. I am sure that over the next few months you are going to see your mother move from an amazing woman you have always admired to The Most Amazing Woman you have ever had the honor of knowing. And I am sure you will find that amazingness in yourself as well. I will keep you family in my prayers.
Ya know, I read this early this morning and I've been thinking about you all morning as I've zipped around picking up and cleaning. My heart is heavy for you. And while I haven't experienced these feelings with my own blood parents, I have experienced those feelings of betrayal. It's one of the hardest things I've ever had to deal with...discovering that someone you admire and look up to just isn't the person they acted to be for SO LONG. I am so, so sorry you are going through this, but I am glad to see that the fire beneath you has been kindled just that much more to fight for your own marriage each and every day. Be strong!
You are such a good person and so is Tom. I love you guys so much and cannot express in words how much I appreciate your support.
Elizabeth, you have our prayers and support in any way that you need it. I love to babysit if you need a night out sometime.
I love you--I'm so sorry to hear about it, and my prayers will be with you.
I've thought of you often in the days since I read this. I wasn't sure what to say except how very sorry I am. I can only imagine the grief you must be experiencing right now. You are strong and you'll get through it I know. I'll be sending prayers your way.
Elizabeth...I am so very sorry. Sometimes life throws us stuff that just doesn't seem fair. It sucks how one person's choices can cause so much pain to so many people. Let me know if I can do anything to help.
Congrats to you and Tom on 8 years. *That* is something to be happy about. :)
Post a Comment