Monday, December 7, 2009

Secret Recipe for Home Economy

Ingredients:
Broom
Mop
Soapy Water
Assorted Rags, Towels, etc.
Dust
Dirt
Clutter
3 Unruly Children (more or less)
2 Overwhelmed Parents, any size
Mountains of laundry

To begin, dust, sweep and mop all surface areas thoroughly. This may require a dash of tears and screaming, but only if you prefer your week salty. Remember not to over-do it too early on, we're just getting started here! You may find it is helpful to separate and seal children behind closed doors. Repeat this step as needed.

Over the next hours and days apply a generous layer of dust, dirt and general clutter on all surfaces. This may or may not include areas you've just cleaned. If you need help, borrow some children, I've found they are very easy to find. People are generally falling over each other to lend them out.

Next apply the mountains of laundry to your bedroom floor. Some prefer to place the laundry first on their bed. This is not necessary. Simply dump laundry onto the floor. Let it ripen for at least three days. This is essential. Putting laundry away too soon is dangerous, and can lead to inappropriate feelings of productivity, and ill-conceived notions of accomplishment.

This is a great base recipe. Vary according to preference. For example, some weeks I add a heated argument with spouse, more tears or screaming, and some weeks if I'm feeling the need for sweet I'll throw in a package of hugs. Repeat weekly or bi-weekly indefinitely.

8 comments:

Rebekah V. said...

This is the only thing I know how to cook. But thanks for the written recipe. It is dead on.

Tom said...

The part about the laundry makes a lot of intuitive sense to me. You've got it just right, I think.

The Chipmans said...

Indefinitely. . . that sound so ominous. Although it makes me feel good that at least I am getting one recipe right.

Angie Judd said...

Love it! :)

Unknown said...

You have such a wonderful way with words that this blog really makes me look forward to the time I become a mother... who knows when that will be.

lis said...

I'm sure this recipe is super, I'm just wondering about the laundry. Can it ripen longer, or does that upset the outcome??

Cheriss said...

This is great. Thanks for the heads up. =]

Mark Sorenson said...

"(more or less)" = Jo?