Thursday, August 27, 2009

Wise Blood: A Novel Wise Blood: A Novel by Flannery O'Connor


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I had a hard time with this book. At one point, about halfway through I became quite frustrated and disgusted with it. If one is looking for hope, love and kindness, it will not be found in Wise Blood.

However... this is a book that makes one think about what religion, repentance, redemption and sin really mean.

Ultimately, it ends just the way it started out: bleak. I gave it four stars because it is a book that should be read, not for enjoyment's sake but for the thoughts and questions it must provoke.

In a few words, this is an exceptionally well-written, and brutal portrait of deep south poverty, ignorance and moral suffering. Enjoy!

View all my reviews >>

2 comments:

Tom said...

At least we had a good talk about the book.

Rebekah V. said...

Enjoy, indeed. You make me chuckle.