Sunday, July 19, 2009

The goodbye time of year

Every year in Chapel Hill I became depressed around April. It wasn't the gorgeous spring weather that got me down. It was anticipating that half our neighborhood would move away. I hate saying goodbye, not least because I'm not very good at saying hello. So every year some part of me would curse those beautiful spring blossoms because I knew it was that time of year again.

I remember last May, when it was finally my turn to move away, as a time of general wetness. Tears, new milk (Eli was only 4 weeks old), wet diapers, and of course early summer humidity were all in combination against me. It's a wonder I didn't melt away.

The Chipmans, our next door neighbors, are moving to Arizona. We threw a goodbye party for them tonight. Laura didn't cry, and it's a good thing because if she had, I would have totally bawled. When we moved in just six months ago, I didn't really expect to make friends very quickly. But I did. And next week one of them is moving away. Here are some pics from this evening.







4 comments:

Unknown said...

At least now you won't have to dread spring time anymore. :)

Tom said...

But I'm still around, so life is stellar.

(But it is sad.)

Penne said...

There will always be change but that is not always a bad thing either. You have made a lot of good friends!

Heather said...

I am really bad at saying good bye as well so I also hated that time of year in our old ward, having to lose so many good friends. So when May came around this time I started feeling a little glum, just out of habit, until I realized that no one was leaving. I guess it will take some time to break a 7 year habit. It's August now and part of me is looking for the new people to show up to make friends with. That's not happening either.