Wednesday, September 14, 2011

More Poems

Numbers Down

Numbers, numbers stumbling down,
Chatter, chatter all around.
No jobs! No work! and pass the blame.
In the end, it’s all the same
Day by day just like before,
Numbers fall and chatter more.



If On a Day of Loss

If on a day of loss
Tears fall from the sky
--”I’m leaving,” he told you--
Would you marvel at the jagged horizon, regal
Against the pressing storm?

If fog of grief descending blinds you,
I would lift it for a moment, unveil
--I could never leave you--
The gleam of an ice-bound branch
In the flush of predawn.

If on that day your child
Dirty and restless, unwitting
Startles you with casual embrace
And your knotted heart
Leaps mid-beat for delight
Know I hold you tenderly in my love.

3 comments:

Tom said...

Nice job, dear.

Unknown said...

I really like the first one.

Tiff Jolley said...

The second is beautiful Elizabeth you are such a fantastic writer. Love you keep up the great work!