We are on our way into the community pool, laden with towels and floaties. The two older boys have run ahead. Eli is holding the Professor's hand, walking just in front of me. He cranes his head back to look at me and hollers, "Mom! I'm beating you up!" He calls it out happily once more while the Professor and I chuckle at the mistake. Then I take the bait, and pretend to race him for a few steps. He laughs heartily and runs ahead, his feet splayed and flat, arms askew on either side. We wonder aloud how he could be any more adorable.
I am helping Eli to dress one morning. He sneezes, once, twice, three times. When he stops I tell him, "bless you!" He looks at me and declares, "I just did two blessings!"
Eli comes down to the breakfast table, dressed and ready for the day. He says proudly, "I have my dress on!"
We are gathering shoes that have been cast off all over the kitchen floor. Three of the pairs belong to Eli. In my best Primary voice I gasp and ask Eli if he knows where these shoes go. He looks at me, eyes bright and gasps in return. Instead of telling me where his shoes go, first he says, "I very like you!" before happily putting his shoes away. I repeat this for each pair of his shoes, and each time he tells me "he very likes me."
Three children feels like a lot some days. But hardly a day goes by when I am not grateful for this child that makes our family whole.

4 comments:
Thanks for writing that stuff down. I very like you for it.
What a sweetheart! I can just see his big brown eyes when he says, "I very like you!" - so precious!
I can't believe he is 3 already. How fast they grow. And what a sweet child. I really love the age of 3.
It is so much more enjoyable if you can stop and enjoy it! I agree that three is hard. I'm going to have to have years of recovery before I'm ready for any more. By the way, thank you so much for Eli's diapers. The kind you gave me are so convenient that I tend to use them more than the kind I had.
Post a Comment