In April Isaac participated in his first karate tournament. He'd never performed for an audience before and I was brimming with jitters and pride for him. Everyone was divided into groups by age and belt level. There were four or five other kids in his division. He competed on a form that he learned just recently. (He wanted to compete in sparring as well, but mama bear nixed that idea) For those who aren't familiar with karate, forms are a formulaic dance-like step. Each belt is required to learn successively more complex forms. When I first watched a classroom full of these young kids moving in perfect choreography, I was so impressed. Isaac was judged on intensity and accuracy. He earned second place - of course, I'm SOOO proud of him - but I think he should have won first place. The girl who got first did a yellow belt form. ;) He says he wasn't nervous. But the judge who gave him his medal had to remind him to smile. Did I mention I was so proud of him?

No comments:
Post a Comment