Sunday, February 8, 2009

Happy Happy Happy

Four years ago today was one of the happiest days of my life. On this day, four years ago, Tom and I walked to the hospital in Chapel Hill. It was gray and drizzly. We checked in to the labor and delivery and were informed by the nurse that our son would be born on Fat Tuesday. She then gave us some beads to wear in celebration. A couple hours later the midwife broke my water and we started making tracks up and down the hallway. Our stubborn little boy was a week late. By 1:00 pm I was well into labor. Tom and my mom took turns supporting me in front and back as I rocked on a birthing ball. I don't remember very much, I kept my eyes closed most of the time and focused on breathing and relaxing through each contraction.

Around 6:00 the nurse came in and checked me and said I was at an 7-8. She turned around to leave the room and I felt his head crown, accompanied by an irresistible urge to push. Mom and Tom were in the room, but no one else was there. Tom ran out into the hall hollering for some help. Five nurses (all, as it turns out, certified midwives in former lives) came running in tossing things left and right. Caleb was born a few minutes later. He came out so quickly I think it startled him and he didn't cry right off. He figure it out pretty quickly. He was beautiful, without bruising or a squished head. The midwife gave him to me and he quieted right down. I can't describe the rush of joy I have felt each time I've held my babies for the first time.

And so Caleb Adrian Spencer joined our family. He is the silly foil to Isaac's seriousness. He dances and sings to music, and when he is happy it is infectious. He is tender and loves to cuddle. We celebrated his birthday yesterday with our family. I know that he felt loved as we all cheered for him each time he opened a present. He had requested a superhero party, so we made little superhero capes for the kids (his got a special letter, and for the days preceding the party he never took it off.) Happy Birthday, my sweet Super Caleb! I love you SO MUCH!





4 comments:

Katrina said...

He's so big! Happy Birthday!

(When can we see photos of your house?)

Robin Holt said...

I love the capes!

Heather said...

How is he 4 years old already? He looks so grown up. Happy Birthday Big Guy!!!!

Penne said...

It made me cry--I can't believe it's been 4 years. He is a wonderful boy! I love you Caleb!